Friday, June 22, 2012

The Paper Bag Princess Book and Activity




One of my favorite children's books is The Paper Bag Princess by Robert Munsch.




In fact, if I recall correctly, when I was a teen I shared this story when speaking in church.  Although it is not scripture, it has what I think is a great message - what you do is more important than how you look while you are doing it.  Well, that's what I get out of it, anyway.

My girls had a few friends over to play today, and they wanted to do a craft.  I remembered picking this book up to put it away the previous day, and so I chose this book as the inspiration.  And I went with what may be the obvious, uninspired choice for a craft: paper bag puppets.

I set up the crafting area at the kitchen table while the kids played upstairs, and then when they were ready for a new activity, I had them call for me from the top of the stairs.  Since there were several children, I had them sit staggered on the steps of the stairs, while I sat at the landing and read the book.  It was a different location to read than the norm, just to shake things up.

The kids were ages 3-8.  I'm not the most dramatic reader, and they were still enthralled by the story.  After sharing the book I explained that I had set out supplies for them to make their own paper bag princess, or prince, or dragon..or whatever they pleased.

The googly eyes were a huge hit.


4YO Pink's creation


We did end up with a princess, a dragon, and..Ms. SpongeBob (teehee).


Friend S's princess

Friend B's dragon

6YO Yellow's Ms. SpongeBob (love it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment